Friday, November 7, 2008

Your Roots are Showing - Elise Chidley

It's always a thrill to discover a new author that you want to tell others about. Elise Chidley's debut fiction novel, Your Roots are Showing, is newly released from Hachette Books.

By mistake Lizzie sends an email to her husband James that was meant for her sister Janie. Unfortunately it details how fed up and frustrated she is with her marriage. It was just venting to her sister, but James takes it to heart and before she knows it, Lizzie is separated. She rents a rundown cottage in a small village with her three year old twins and then...Well what is next? She still loves James, but it seems he's ready to move on. Maybe it's time to love herself.

Lizzie Indigo is a wonderful, warm, lovable character. The journey to reclaim her life and herself is by turns funny, sad and inspiring. Chidley has perfectly captured the trials and tribulations of life after children. Lizzie's world is filled out by an eclectic group of supporting characters (I'm quite taken with the meddling neighbour Ingrid)

Chidley is very funny. I actually found myself laughing out loud as she recounts a tale involving the idea that wrapping one's self in saran wrap will drive your husband mad. Or the self tanning fiasco....

If you've read the Shopaholic/Bridget Jones books, you'll love this great feel good chick lit read. I'll be watching and waiting for Elise Chidley's next novel! You can read an excerpt below!

5 comments:

Serena said...

This sounds like a humorous read. I love books about a moment of weakness and folly that can change the course of a character's life.

Anna said...

Sounds interesting, how an email can end a marriage. I hope to get a chance to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Michele said...

I think I'd like this one...I like reading about small things that dramatically alter someone's life. Nice review!

Darlene said...

Luanne, you always seem one book ahead of me. lol. I have this one to read too. Coming up soon I hope. Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

I'm putting this one on my wish list because I loved the Shopaholic books.