Friday, August 23, 2024

The Wedding People - Alison Espach

I read some really great reviews for Alison Espach's new novel - The Wedding People - and thought I'd give it a go. I was glad I did. 

The book goes deeper than I expected and explores many things - love, loss, family, friends, self and so much more. It's delivered with a sharp and sometimes dark but funny voice of our protagonist Phoebe.

She arrives at a luxury hotel ready to settle in when she is told a wedding has taken over the whole hotel for a week and they don't have a room for her. Phoebe is not going to take no for an answer. She has plans. As does the bride...

I chose to to listen to The Wedding People. The reader was Helen Laser and did a fab job. She speaks clearly and her voice is pleasant to listen to. She has created voices for the lead characters that were just perfect. Phoebe's is matter of fact, modulated and absolutely fit the mental picture I had created for the character. The bride's voice is stressed and louder, mirroring her emotional state. The conversations between the two are filled with truths. Laser captures the nuances of Espach's book with her voice.

A great listen. Hear for yourself - listen to an excerpt.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I really enjoyed this one too, and especially appreciated the humor that was layered into the serious subject matter.

Luanne said...

Exactly!