Monday, August 12, 2024

The Haunting of Hecate Cavendish - Paula Brackston

I loved the cover of Paula Brackston's new book - The Haunting of Hecate Cavendish. The colors and motion highlights caught my eye - and then I saw the ring of keys. I was hooked.

The time frame and setting is one I always enjoy - England in the1800's. The dialogue is written as if it was in that time frame and transports the reader to the time and place. 

Our protagonist is Hecate Cavendish - a young woman who has just been hired  as an Assistant Librarian in a chained library. I loved her enthusiasm, her awe, and her joy being surrounded by so many ancient books and maps. She is warned to confine her tasks to what is been assigned. But there is one map that she is drawn to time and time again. And then...

Oh, I'm going to let you discover what the the 'and then' might bring! I thought it was a fabulous plot - one that kept me engaged and eager to see what the next chapter would bring. The sub plot is for Hecate and her personal life - which adds much to the plot.

There's action, suspense, romance, duty and so much more. It's a magical read - and you know what magic brings don't you...? Evil...

This is the first book in a new series from Brackston. The ending of the book was satisfying, but the door is just waiting for the second book. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Haunting of Hecate Cavendish.

2 comments:

Mystica said...

I’m intrigued by the name Hecate also. Thanks for the review.

Luanne said...

Thanks for stopping by Mystica. It was a name I had not heard before either.