Friday, August 9, 2024

One Big Happy Family - Jamie Day

The first thing I noticed on the cover of Jamie Day's new book was the lovely pastel beach chairs. But, then I looked at that stormy background - and that small print. One Big Happy Family may not be the truth...

The Precipice Hotel is about to change hands as George Bishop has died. His three daughters are gathering to hear the will read. It's been years since they've seen each other...

Okay, so far we've got three women who don't see eye to eye. A odd lawyer with the will. And from the cover - a bad storm coming. Isolated hotel. Limited staff - and that would be Charley. She's our protagonist. And some other supporting characters. I thought that all the pieces for a 'locked room mystery' were in place.

I liked the setting very much - especially the library room and there are many more rooms. Charley is worried about what this change of ownership would mean to her circumstances. I liked her early in the book, but found a number of her actions were questionable as the book progressed. 

I'm all up for twists and turns and a plot that keeps the reader guessing. But for me, this plot just asked too much of the reader. I found it to be too far-fetched in places and repetitive in others. 

Still, it was an entertaining book for the beach. See for yourself - read an excerpt of One Big Happy Family. 

No comments: