Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Dark Wives - Ann Cleeves

The Dark Wives is Ann Cleeves' latest (11th), in her wonderful Detective Chief Inspector Vera Stanhope series. And yes - the television series is based on this character.

The setting is northeastern England and plays a part in the mystery. The details paint vivid mental images of the setting. 

Josh works at a home for troubled teens. He is found dead outside the building - and one of the teens is gone. And then there's another death...

Vera is on the case and is joined by Joe and Rosie, who is new to 'the patch.' I adore Vera - she says what she things, she doesn't tolerate fools, marches to her own piper and never gives up. She is determined to bring the missing teenage home. Her methods are often not by the book. 

The premise and plot is imaginative and multi faceted. I didn't figure out the answers 'til the final pages. An excellent tale. 

And a wonderful listen. I find I am more immersed in a story when I listen to it. That was the case with The Dark Wives. The narrator was Janine Birkett and she was a great choice. I believe she was the lone reader. She has come up with believable and suitable voices for all of the players using accents, speed, tone, and more. She conveys the action, the mood and much more with her performance. Excellent! 

11 hours and 50 minutes

4 comments:

Carla said...

Going to go put this on my Books to Read. Thanks

Luanne said...

I hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Mystica said...

This would be a good read. Archived today sadly.

Luanne said...

Oh Drat!