Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Fire and Bones - Kathy Reichs

Yay! A new Temperance Brennan book from Kathy ReichsFire and Bones has just released - and it's a hot listen!

I've read or listed to every Tempe book and I'm always eager to see what her next case will be about. This time Tempe is headed to Washington to help identify fire victims and add her expertise to the investigation. And Tempe can't walk away when she comes across clues pointing to a much bigger operation.

I really enjoy Tempe as a protagonist. She's got a rich personal life that has progressed over the course of all 23 books in the series. She's dogged in her search for the answers and justice as a forensic anthropologist. Kathy Reichs herself is a certified forensic anthropologist. Her cases and writing have the details that tell you it's the real deal.I quite enjoy Tempe's inner dialogue as well!

The cases are always interesting. There's lots of history is this latest - and no way to predict how or what will come next. (I like the twist in the final chapter!)

Her counterpart in this latest is journalist Ivy Doyle. Can Ivy be trusted with what's going on behind doors. I wasn't a fan of this character in the beginning, but...

I often find myself more immersed in a book when I listen. The voices bring the book alive. I was very happy to see that Linda Emond was the reader. She has narrated at least the last ten books in the series. The continuity is great as she has become the voice of Tempe for me, matching my mental image. She has an interesting voice - there's a slight gravelly undertone and it rises and falls within a single sentence punctuating a point, reaction or emotion. A voice that carries an authoritative tone when needed. And a voice that matches the age of the character. Emond speaks clearly, enunciates well and is easy to understand. She does a great job with the French phrases as well and excellent performance.
An excellent entry in this long running series. Hear for yourself - listen to an an audio excerpt.

No comments: