Saturday, December 20, 2008

Flirting With Forty - The Movie

I just watched the movie of Jane Porter's Flirting With Forty. It's always interesting to see a movie after you've read the book. It's never quite the same....
I thought Heather Locklear was a good choice to play Jackie. (She looks wonderful and she's almost 50 - it wasn't a stretch to imagine her at 40 at all.) I found the kids a bit stilted. I really did not like the group of friends. Some changes from the book in this aspect. I did enjoy the movie, but one plotline that I thought was important in the book was completely left out of the movie. I know that it's hard to pare down an entire book into a two hour movie, but this is why I rarely watch a movie after reading the book. I find myself talking to the screen ... hey that's not right....she doesn't do that etc. I did enjoy it, but enjoyed the book more. What did you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I had just finished the book, I didn't like the changes. One of the things I liked about the book was the fact that Jackie's friends didn't approve of the friendship, but when she needed them, they were there. The movie wasn't like that.

Kaye said...

I didn't read the book yet but I really liked the movie. I'm sure the book is better. It nearly always is. I always wonder how they decide what to cut and why they make changes to the characters.

cindysloveofbooks said...

I had just finished reading the book when I saw the movie. I wa like you talking to the tv saying the same things. I know its hard to put the book all in the movie but some things should have been included. IE when they went tree shopping and bringing it home, that part was funny.

Anonymous said...

I love Heather Locklear! Think she's a good choice too.

Amy said...

They not only left things out, they changed some important elements of the story.....and Kai's name! ;) It was a disappointment to me.

Shana said...

Now I'm curious about the plot line that was left out, Luanne! I've read the book, and have DVR'd the movie but haven't found time to watch it yet!

Shana
Literarily