Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Bridge - Stuart Prebble

The Bridge is Stuart Prebble's latest book.

Michael has been dating Alison for a few months now. They're on the way to meet his Grandma Rose, when the radio newscast reports a madman picking up children and throwing them over the Waterloo Bridge. Horrific, Alison and Michael agree. And then the meeting with Rose goes badly as well. Perhaps it was too soon. Or perhaps he doesn't know Alison well enough yet. The Madman strikes again, again targeting children.

Unbelievably, the police finger Michael as a person of interest. He was in the vicinity of each occurrence and they have other evidence that  they say ties him to the crimes.

Prebble leads the reader with many red herrings along the way, igniting our suspicions as to the final whodunit. I must admit, I was pretty sure I had sussed out the answer about midway through. I was wrong, but....I found the coincidences that drove the plot forward to the final reveal to be just too far-fetched. The whodunit was overwrought and overwrote in my opinion. The Bridge was just an okay read for me. Read an excerpt of The Bridge.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Yeah, I can only suspend disbelief so much. I might skip this one.