Monday, April 10, 2017

Garden of Lamentations - Deborah Crombie

I'm a big fan of Deborah Crombie's series that features Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. The latest (#17) is Garden of Lamentations.

Now both working for Scotland Yard, Gemma and Duncan have two puzzling - and disturbing - cases on their hands. Gemma is after the murderer of a young woman found in a private London garden. And Duncan believes that there's a traitor in the ranks - especially after a former mentor is attacked. This thread has been present in the last few books - and comes to a head in Garden of Lamentations.

I've written in my previous reviews ..."the most captivating of all, is the large group of characters that appear in each book, their lives changing and growing with every new entry.  They're so well drawn, they've become almost real, especially Duncan, Gemma and their children. I feel like I know them. Although others may complain that the domestic details of the characters detracts from a good mystery, I find it gives the story much more depth. I've become invested in their lives and want to see where Crombie takes them from here. Sitting down with the latest feels like catching up with old friends." This is what has me always eagerly awaiting the next book from Crombie.

But Crombie's mysteries and investigations are just as strong as her characterizations. The clues, suspicions and what-ifs are there for the reader to discover along with the police. I enjoy not knowing the 'whodunit' until the final pages. Crombie gives us lots of choices along the way.

I'm not sure what the next book will bring - there's a plot turn that has me wondering if the series will continue or is simply moving shop....Read an excerpt of Garden of Lamentations. If you've not read Crombie before, I suggest starting with earlier books - this latest draws on previous events.

You can find Deborah Crombie on Facebook and on Twitter.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've got a couple of her books but haven't tried Crombie's work yet. It sounds like something I'd love.