Monday, January 22, 2024

The Night of the Storm - Nishita Parekh

The Night of the Storm is Nishita Parekh's debut novel. And if you're a fan of twists and turns, you'll find them here. 

The cover gives you a good idea of what you'll find inside. The storm in question is Hurricane Harvey and the house is where Jia, her son and other family members choose to hunker down - instead of evacuating. A perfect setting for a 'locked' room mystery. Because...yes, you guessed it...one of them turns up dead. So who is the killer?

Parekh's characters all have their own secrets and agendas. And each one of them is offered up as the culprit as the plot unfolds. This changes often and Parekh leads the reader down the garden path more than once. The only character I liked was Jai - and my thoughts on her changed more than once. Parekh takes inspiration from her own life, family, mores etc. and inserts it in her novel. "She (Parekh)  is a software programmer but a writer at heart, and loves writing about her experiences as a woman and an immigrant." 

I enjoyed the twists and turns up to a certain point - and then I felt they were becoming just too unbelievable. The epilogue cleans up all the questions and 'where are they now' info, along with another twist. And Jai makes a decision that I whole heartedly disagree with. 

The Night of the Storm was a good debut novel and I liked it, but didn't love it.



6 comments:

Kay said...

Another one that's one my list of books to try. We'll see how I fare with it when it's time to read it. Hmmm....

Luanne said...

I'll be watching for your thoughts Kay - we seem to have the same thinking

Sandy K. said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I have such a pile of books, but think it's a healthy thing. Now to find time to read them, AND the new ideas I get from blogs such as yours. This one sounds promising!

Luanne said...

Thanks so much for stopping by Sandy. I'm like you - too many titles on my 'wanna read' list!

Mystica said...

Thank you for the review.

Luanne said...

Thanks Mystica. Thanks for stopping by.