Thursday, January 11, 2024

Death Under a Little Sky - Stig Abell

Death Under a Little Sky is Stig Abell's excellent debut novel.

What first caught my eye was Lucy Foley's cover blurb - "Gloriously atmospheric." 

But what kept me turning pages was Abell's slow burning plot, his introduction to wonderfully interesting characters and that rich atmospheric setting.  

Jake Jackson was a Detective in London, but when he inherits a large isolated property, he decides to chuck it all in and move. When he hears of a historic crime in the area, he can't let it go, and starts to investigate. Abell's case slowly and surely unfolds.

Just as interesting are the changes Jackson makes to his life. A slower pace, finding and enjoying nature, eating clean, physical labor, exploring interests and more. And perhaps someone to love. I really enjoyed how the two were blended together. I sat and savored the descriptions of Jake's new life and his inner thoughts. The descriptions of the physical settings are worth savoring as well. 

See for yourself - read an excerpt of Death Under a Little Sky. And....I was thrilled to see that there is a second book featuring Jake coming out in April of 2024. Keep an eye out for Death in a Lonely Place - I will be!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sounds right up my alley - sounds like the Dave Gurney novels that John Verson writes.

Luanne said...

Amy, that's a great comparison! I also like the Dave Gurney books. I'm on hold for the audio of the last one. I hope you enjoy this one! L.