Tuesday, January 9, 2024

The Expectant Detectives - Kat Ailes

The Expectant Detectives is Kat Ailes' debut novel. Now, three guesses - what might these amateur detectives night have in common? If you said 'they're all pregnant' - you're a winner. 

Alice and her partner Joe have moved to Penton, a small village in the Cotswolds. Of course! Penton is home to a varied (and quirky) bunch of residents. The population is down one when a local shopkeeper is found dead downstairs in his shop - while Alice is upstairs at the same shop attending her prenatal class. 

As they're all suspects now - (bar one) four of the women decide to band together to help the local constabulary find the culprit. The group is made up of a wonderful group very different women.

Alice is our lead character and honestly, her actions and dialogue had me laughing out loud. Ailes is a funny woman and writer. Now I have to mention the four footed character Helen - Alice's dog. Again, very funny. She steals the show in a few places.

And what about the crime? Ailes gives us lots of possibilities for the whodunit. And has us questioning just about everyone's innocence. It wasn't easy to suss out the final ah ha!

Fans of Finlay Donovan will love this new series. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Expectant Detective.

Dead Tired is the follow up to The Expectant Detectives, coming out on June 4/24. It's most definitely on my 'want to read' list!

2 comments:

Kay said...

I think this one sounds fun and I was just noticing that #2 will be out in June. Guess I better see if my library has ordered it! Thanks!

Luanne said...

I'm really embracing cosy mysteries lately. I hope you enjoy this one. And I have a hold on this too!