Monday, March 6, 2023

What Have We Done - Alex Finlay

Do you like twisty suspense reads? Yes? Then you need to pick up Alex Finlay's latest book - What Have We Done.

The book opens with a prologue from the past that sets the tone for the rest of the book. Five teen residents of a group home commit a crime that will link them together forever. Twenty five years on, they've all done well for themselves, but don't really keep in touch. Until.....it looks like someone else knows about that night. And they want retribution.

There are multiple points of view in the book. We hear from not just the five, but the ones hunting them down as well. As readers we become privy to information from both sides. The timeline switches from past to present and back again. I enjoy this style of story telling. 

Finlay expertly leads the reader down the garden path and provides lots of red herrings along the way. He also ends many chapters on a suspenseful note, ensuring I needed to just read 'one more chapter' before turning out the lights. Now, about figuring out the whodunit - Finlay is a master of the 'twist'. He caught me off guard many times and with each twist the narrative changed. I love being kept on my toes. 

The action starts in the first chapters and the pace never really eases off. Over the top in places? Absolutely, but it's a heckuva fun read. I could see this tale as an action movie. See for yourself - read an excerpt of What Have We Done. 

( Gentle readers, there are some triggers.)

6 comments:

Kay said...

I'm on my library's hold list for this one - #3 on the list. We'll see if I can wait or if I 'acquire' another way. LOL

Luanne said...

I look daily on the coming soon lists at my library as well Kay!

Mystica said...

Second review I am seeing about this book. Thanks for the review

Luanne said...

Thanks for stopping by Mystica. Hope you get a chance to read it.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Sounds good!

Luanne said...

It was good Many Thoughts - hope you get a chance to read it!