Friday, March 3, 2023

The Kind Worth Saving - Peter Swanson

The Kind Worth Saving is Peter Swanson's newest novel. It's the second to feature Henry Kimball and Lily Kintner. But this new book can be read as a stand alone.

Henry Kimball has worked as a high school teacher, a cop and now as a private investigator. He's surprised when his new client walks in, as she was one of his students many years ago. What a coincidence...or is it?

Swanson tells this story in two time frames - then and now. I really like this style of storytelling. Each new chapter builds on the last and bleeds into the present. There are a few points of view and they too add details and history from the past to the present. As readers, we can see everything that is going and why. And the why is quite disturbing. We can only hope that Henry can put the pieces together sooner rather than later.  

I like Henry and his way of looking at the world - and his limericks. Lily scares me - she's capable of more than you would imagine. The new client is, well, let's say she's interesting. Swanson's characters are well developed rather than being one dimensional.

Swanson's tale isn't straightforward and I love the twists and turns the plot visits. The ending - and the book title - are quite fitting. 

I enjoyed The Kind Worth Saving. I hope Swanson has planned a third book with Henry - I think he has more to say. Read an excerpt of The Kind Worth Saving.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I want to read this, but I almost feel like I need to go back and read The Kind Worth Killing. My memory of the details is a bit dim. Ha!

Luanne said...

Yes, I had to go back and read my review of The Kind Worth Killing too.