Wednesday, March 1, 2023

The Secrets of Hartwood Hall - Katie Lumsden

There is no better book to read on a dull and rainy day, than a Gothic mystery. The weather in my part of the world was the backdrop on a wet Sunday for Katie Lumsden's debut novel, The Secrets of Hartwood Hall. The cover and title promised the perfect tale. 

What makes this genre such a favorite of mine? Well let me tell you... it's the historical time frame, the run down manor, the village nearby and it's refusal to have anything to do with the manor and it's inhabitants, the whisper of ghosts, the knock in the night, the mixed personalities of the staff, including the handsome gardener, the mystery that surround the Lady of the manor and her son and last but not least the new addition to the manor - a recently widowed governess. Oh - and secrets - lots of secrets!

Katie Lumsden's book is set in 1852. She has captured the social strata, manners and mores of the time period. Her descriptions of the setting(s) are rich in detail and provided strong mental pictures for me. The cast of characters is perfect and I really liked Margaret as a lead character. She isn't one to accept all of those rules and expected behaviors. Hers is the only point of view. Lumsden has taken all of those facets I look forward to and added her own touches to the Secrets of Hartwood Hall. The ending caught me off guard as I had expected a different outcome. On reflection it's a fitting one that's perfect. 

If you enjoy this genre, than this is a book for you. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Secrets of Hartwood Hall. I quite enjoyed this debut and wouldn't hesitate to pick up her next book. More please!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am tempted to buy a copy of this just to have standing by for a rainy gray day! (then I'll just have to remember it's there) :)

Luanne said...

Lol Amy! I am so bad at buying a book and then not reading it - just because I know it's there and won't expire!

Kay said...

I like the sound of this one. Think I saw another blogger mention it. Off to see if my library has ordered it. Thanks!

Luanne said...

It's a good one Kay - Enjoy!