Monday, June 13, 2022

Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting - Clare Pooley

I adored Clare Pooley's first novel, The Authenticity Project. (my review) I was very excited to read her second novel, Iona Iverson's Rules For Commuting. And like the first book, it was a fabulous read and is one of my faves of 2022!

Pooley took inspiration from her own experiences on the train. "I also started to wonder what would have happened if I'd ignored the unwritten rule of commuting and had been brave enough to talk to my fellow commuters. What adventures might those conversations taken me on? And that thought became this book." I loved this premise! The story could go anywhere. 

Iona Iverson rides the train to work every day, sitting in the the same seat along with her dog Lulu (who also has her own seat), which funnily enough, no one ever questions. But Iona's life and many others are destined for change from the opening line...."Until the point when a man starting dying right in front of her on the 08:05, Iona's day had been just like any other." 

I knew from Pooley's first novel, that the plot would be character driven. Oh my, Pooley has again created the most wonderful, eclectic, quirky group of players. They're a mixed bunch - different ages, jobs, social strata, personalities, joys, problems and more. But what they have in common is the train - and Iona.

Each of the train riders is given a voice with their own chapters. They're so well drawn, detailed and relatable. Slowly but surely, with every new chapter, their lives become enmeshed. I came to care for them all and honestly couldn't stop reading. I needed to know what was going to happen with everyone! 

Pooley's writing is so easy to read, flows so easily and is utterly addictive. If you're looking for a warm, feel-good, uplifting, unexpected, just be yourself tale, this is one you'll want to read. After I turned the last page, I wondered - what would happen if someone actually did this?

An absolute five star, must read! See for yourself - read an excerpt of Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting.

No comments: