Thursday, June 16, 2022

Go Hunt Me - Kelly deVos

Kelly deVos' new YA novel is Go Hunt Me.

I'm usually pretty good at requesting books for myself and rarely have a DNF. I'm sorry to say that Go Hunt Me was one of the rare ones. I adore YA fiction for fun, escapist reading. The premise of Go Hunt Me sounded fun -  teen horror film aficionados heading to Romania (hello Dracula!) to make their own movie. But instead, one by one they're picked off.

What didn't I like - well, the characters for one. Yes, there's the smart one, the shy one, the hunky guy etc. But they're flat and I never connected with any of them. And I lost them in all of the film making minutiae that frankly, I found quite boring after the first few pages. 

And then … we jump the shark, taking Scooby Doo along with us. The reader has to suspend disbelief multiple times as the plot overreaches. That's where I chose to fast forward to the final pages. There's a nice turn at the end, but it's not enough to rescue what came before. 

Others quite enjoyed Go Hunt Me - see the reviews on Goodreads. 

No comments: