Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Woman Inside - E.G. Scott

The Woman Inside is a debut collaboration from E.G. Scott - a pseudonym for two NYC-based writers, one a publishing professional and one a screenwriter.

The Woman Inside is told from two viewpoints - Rebecca the wife and Paul the husband. They've been married for twenty years and each of them came to the marriage with secrets. And after twenty years, there are new secrets. Paul is having an affair and it looks like he's planning a new future for himself. Rebecca has a serious drug problem, but is not going to let Paul throw away their marriage. They're each capable of so much....

"I didn't realize what I'd done until many minutes later. Sometimes my anger is like that. The rage has been within me for so long....I've worked hard to keep it under wraps, especially from my husband."

Ahh, what follows is a lovely game of cat and mouse between the two. The reader is aware of what each player is thinking and scheming. There's also a back and forth narrative - giving us insight into the early days of the marriage.

But things takes a turn with an unexpected twist and the two are now forced to work together against a common threat. But the reader is still privy to that insider knowledge - and I could see what was coming. But I wasn't completely right - there was still another few surprises. You'll have to suspend belief on a few plot devices, but go with it.

Neither character is likeable and both are distinctly unreliable. The characters I did like were the police detectives - I found their back and forth banter quite entertaining. (Perhaps we'll see them in another book from this duo?)

If you're looking for domestic noir with some really nice twists, this is a really good bet. (But I'm not sure about that cover....) Read an excerpt of The Woman Inside.

The Woman Inside reads like a film - and TV rights to The Woman Inside have already been bought!

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds good - I'm drawn to the cover.

Ethan said...

This one sounds pretty intriguing. Is it just me, or are authors writing more and more unlikable characters in thrillers?

Luanne said...

Bermudaonion - funnily enough, I didn't like the cover! But the cat and mouse back and forth drew me in.

Ethan - you raise a good point. And you know, I have read more and more books where I don't like the characters, but can't wait to see what they do....

Dianna said...

The cover creeps me out, but that's exactly why I want to read it!

Luanne said...

Dianna - a creepy cover is always a good bet!