Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Over the Counter #467

What book caught my eye this week as it passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Did someone say snacks?

Snacks: a Canadian food history by Janis Thiessen.

From University of Manitoba Press:

"Snacks is a history of Canadian snack foods, the independent producers and workers who make them, and the consumers who can’t put them down.

Janis Thiessen profiles several iconic Canadian snack food companies, including Old Dutch Potato Chips, Hawkins Cheezies, and chocolatier Ganong. These companies have developed in distinctive ways, reflecting the unique stories of their founders and their intense connection to specific places.

These stories of salty or sweet confections also reveal a history that is at odds with popular notions of ‘junk food.’ Through extensive oral history and archival research, Thiessen uncovers the roots of our deep loyalties to different snack foods, what it means to be an independent snack food producer, and the often-quirky ways snacks have been created and marketed.

Clearly written, extensively illustrated, and lavish with detail about some of Canadians’ favorite snacks, this is a lively and entertaining look at food and labour history."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But...I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

5 comments:

Vicki said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I'll see if my library has it.

Icewineanne said...

Snacks sounds like so much fun! Must get a copy of this. One of my favourite snacks growing up, were Humpty Dumpty potato chips & their ringos.
Cheers!

Luanne said...

I hope it does Vicki - so glad this caught your eye!

Icewineanne - ah the Humpty Dumpty - yes, I ate a lot of those. And Bugles! Hope you can track down a copy too.

Icewineanne said...

The library has copies - Yeay!!
Put a hold on it right after I commented. Thrilled that you found this book & highlighted it on your blog Luanne :)

Luanne said...

Icewinneanne - very glad to hear your library has ordered it as well! Seems like this one struck a note with a lot of us!