Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Hiding Place - C.J. Tudor

I added C.J. Tudor to my 'must read' list of authors after devouring her debut novel The Chalk Man. (my review) I couldn't wait to read her newly released second book, The Hiding Place.

Joe became a teacher after leaving his hometown of Arnhill. He left behind heartache, loss and more. It was this descriptor that had me hooked....

"Because for Joe, the worst moment of his life wasn't the day his sister went missing. It was the day she came back."

And so Joe goes back to Arnhill to work as a teacher. But he has his own reasons for returning. He's in a bit of trouble himself...

Arnill is a place full of secrets where the past seems to be repeating itself. Tudor paints a darkly vivid setting. Joe's cottage, the school, the abandoned mines and the rest of the town are places you wouldn't choose to be. And the inhabitants? Just as dark and duplicitous.

But through it all is the question - what happened to Joe's sister?

"And that's when I feel it. A sudden wave of dread like vertigo, that hollows out my stomach from within and saps the strength from my bones. I will not let that happen. It's happening again."

And Joe. He's a deeply flawed character, but I was drawn to him and happily alongside as he plumbed both the past and present for answers. I absolutely loved his voice - his acerbic wit and sarcasm are perfect, but don't always serve him well.

Tudor drops hints about what happened to Annie as the book progresses through flashback to the past chapters. About two thirds of the way through, I had a good idea of what transpired. And I was right (a nod to Stephen King), but it didn't detract at all from my enjoyment of this book.

Tudor's writing makes for addictive reading and I can't wait for book number three. Read an excerpt of The Hiding Place.

3 comments:

Mystica said...

Sounds very mysterious and full of suspense. Thanks for the review.

Icewineanne said...

Glad you enjoyed this one! I received an advance copy & am really looking forward to reading it next week. Must finish Hunting Party (great so far) & a book for my travel club meeting next week, first.
Have a bodacious day!

Luanne said...

Thank you Mystica for reading it!

Icewineanne - I've got The Hunting Party in the teetering pile - glad to hear it's good. I look forward to your thoughts on The Hiding Place.