Friday, September 29, 2017

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #178

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
Australian cover
Yes, this description has landed Sarah Bailey's debut novel, The Dark Lake, a spot on my TBR list...."In a suspense thriller to rival Paula Hawkins and Tana French, a detective with secrets of her own hunts the killer of a woman who was the glamorous star of their high school." The US cover is on the left and the Australian cover is on the right. Water is obviously a big part of the book. So, we have two different looks based on that idea. One is an actual shot of a lake with a gray, overcast look. Except for those red flowers that I think allude to death. And taglines giving you a further idea of what the book is about. I think I prefer the water image the US has used  - the drips and bubbles. Red also figures into this cover, as what I think might be a smear of blood. Or a red fish. Either way, I find the subtler look more appealing. So, US cover for me this week. Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read The Dark Lake?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I like both of them but think I do prefer the US cover too.