Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Over the Counter # 314

What book caught my eye this week as it passed over the library counter and under my scanner?

Rock Art! : Painting and Crafting With the Humble Pebble by Denise Scicluna. I remember painting rocks as a child, and I think a planned trip to the beach this summer will involve some new rock paintings.

From the publisher, Barron's Educational Series:

"Great uses for rocks: throwing, skipping, kicking…how about painting? Rock painting is one of the oldest forms of artistic expression known to man. The varied surfaces, shapes, and sizes of rocks also make them perfect for crafts. From brooches to bookends, paperweights to place cards, miniature owls to patterned pebbles, you can create just about anything with the right rock and a bit of imagination. In Rock Art!, visual artist Denise Scicluna provides inspiration and advice for rocking our artsy side with:

  • Tips for finding and identifying rocks and preparing them for paint
  • Techniques for creating the perfect “rock” from polymer clay
  • A guide to gathering tools, from paint, pencils, and brushes to wood filler and varnish
  • Dozens of projects for bringing pebbles to life with personality and style

Simple, step-by-step instructions, and more than 250 full-color illustrations that practically pop off the page make this fun and unusual book perfect for crafters of all ages."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

No comments: