Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley

Oh I loved, loved, loved this book!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie introduces us to eleven year old Flavia DeLuce. She lives with her father and two sisters in an old mansion in 1950's England. The house is full of nooks and crannies - and a old chemistry lab. Flavia practices making poisons there. (yes poisons!) She and her older sisters are constantly thinking of ways to torment each other. Their eccentric father keeps himself occupied with his philatelic obsession.We are introduced to Flavia in the first paragraph of the novel....

"It was as black in the closet as old blood. They had shoved me in and locked the door. I breathed heavily through my nose, fighting desperately to remain calm. I tried counting to ten on every intake of breath, and to eight as I released each one slowly into the darkness. Luckily for me, they had pulled the gag so tightly into my open mouth that my nostrils were left unobstructed, and I was able to draw in one slow lungful after another of the stale, musty air."

Flavia escapes unharmed, but plans to pay her sisters back. However, the appearance of a dead bird with a postage stamp speared through it's beak and her father's horrified reaction distract her. But it is the dead body found in the cucumber patch that really enthralls her. When her father is arrested for the murder, Flavia sets out to solve the crime on her own.

Flavia is one of the most endearing, captivating, curious, beguiling, precocious characters I've ever discovered in the pages of a book. The crime is interesting, but it is Flavia's personality that is the real draw for me.

"Whenever I'm out of doors and find myself wanting to have a first-rate think, I fling myself down on my back, throw my arms and legs out so that I look like an asterisk, and gaze at the sky. For the first little while, I'm usually entertained by my 'floaters', those wormy little strings of protein that swim to and fro across one's field of vision like dark little galaxies. When I'm not in a hurry, I stand on my head to stir them, up, and then lie back to watch the show, as if it were an animated cinema film."

Although the idea of an eleven year old for a protagonist seems unusual for an adult detective novel, it just somehow works. Harriet the Spy for grown ups. (I really wanted to be Harriet when I was younger!)

I've just found out that Flavia has a fan club! ( So of course I joined!) There are some great discussion groups and author Alan Bradley stops in to answer questions.

This is the first in a series that Bradley has planned - The Buckshaw Chronicles. I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the second!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your description, the title and the cover. This one looks like a winner!

Sheri S. said...

I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds like a good one! Great review.

Kaye said...

Wow, your review made me want this book NOW! I don't care how old the sleuth is. Sounds like such a fun read.

Alea said...

How interesting, I had never heard of this before! Sounds good!

Jeanne said...

Oh yeah, didn't we all want to be Harriet the Spy? This sounds like a book I can't resist.

Darlene said...

This sounds great Luanne. I should see about getting this one to read. For some reason I really enjoy stories narrated by the young. Different perspective I guess. Great review by the way.

Gwendolyn B. said...

Luanne -- this is right up my alley. I've got to get my hands on a copy SOON! Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.
geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

Book Maniac said...

Stop by and pick up an award! Just wanted to reward you for all the great stuff you do!

Michele said...

I can't wait to read this book!

Elizabeth said...

This sounds so good - thanks for the great review!

The Merry Death said...

Ooh, I want to read this.
meredycat*lycos*com

The Merry Death said...

I follow.
meredycat*lycos*com

Melwyk said...

I loved this book as well. It was fantastic and I'm so enthused that it's the beginning of a long series! I read the author's memoir a couple of years ago and liked his style. Now I have lots of mysteries to anticipate! Like you, I enjoyed Flavia's character and her family.

Ladytink_534 said...

The title is interesting. It does remind me of Harriet the Spy!