Friday, February 2, 2024

Twenty-Seven Minutes - Ashley Tate

Twenty-Seven Minutes is Ashley Tate's debut novel.

From the prologue: "...if an ambulance had been called right away she would have survived...but the ambulance was called too late - twenty-seven minutes too late."

Between the cover picture and that bit from the prologue above I was expecting a suspense/mystery book. There are a number of questions and actions that need to be discovered and addressed. That somewhat filled the mystery expectation.

But, the delivery of the book is much slower than I had imagined it to be. The past and present is viewed and seen through the eyes of the four main characters. Everyone of them is hiding something. I had thought I would have empathy for at least one of them, but I didn't. 

The small town they all live in is gray, wounded and ugly. That goes for the supporting characters as well. Mean spirited, insular and stuck in the path they've chosen.

This book was a very slow burn for me. I found that that the plotting was far too slow and repetitive for me. Some of the issues from the opening pages have yet to be resolved by the last chapters. Unfortunately I'd lost interest by the time I turned the last page. 

Others quite liked this book so I encourage you to check out the reviews on Goodreads.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Well, I think I can take a pass on this one. I'm struggling right now to find a book that will suit me. Definitely waiting on the new Kelley Armstrong book with the 'Rockton' characters and also the new Kristin Hannah book. Have you read Kate Morton's Homecoming? Can't remember if you have. I'm going to read that one this month too hopefully.

Luanne said...

I'm really looking forward to The Boy Who Cried Bear as well! I really enjoy that series. I've not read Homecoming, but have a copy looking at me.

Mystica said...

Thank you for an honest review

Luanne said...

It wasn't a great choice for me. I'm sure others loved it.