Monday, February 19, 2024

The Framed Women of Ardemore House - Brandy Schillace

I loved the cover of Brandy Schillace's new novel - The Framed Women of Ardemore House

There's lots of clues on that cover, as to what you'll find inside the book if you look closely. A gun, a skeleton key, flowers, women's profiles and a manor house. The title itself holds a pertinent addition to the plot. I went in thinking this book would be set in the past. Not quite - it's about the past, but firmly set in the here and now.

Jo Jones is the new owner of Ardemore House. She's an American who has never set foot in England, let alone inheriting a manor house. But she's excited at this turn in her life. But...there's a bump in her new life. (Well, really more than one. And a bit bigger than a bump).

Jo is such a great lead character. She is self described as a neurodivergent, hyperlexic and divorced. She's a quick thinker that can see the pieces she needs, but has trouble making sure that others see what she means at times. The other lead character is DCI MacAdams. His inner dialogue and thinking adds so much to the book. Did I mention he's divorced as well? I realize I've left out the reason for his inclusion in this tale. That would be the dead handyman found in Jo's cottage. And the worrisome news that she's a suspect...

Schillace is a clever, clever writer. The plot is multilayered and offers up many avenues for things to take, in the now and in the the then. The two leads are fabulous characters, as are the supporting cast. I would love to see MacAdams and Jones again. Surely there's another body somewhere in the small village...

See for yourself - read an excerpt of the Framed Women of Ardemore house. I'm excited to find that Schillace has three previous books. I'll be checking them out and watching for new titles. 

6 comments:

Brandy Schillace said...

❤️

Luanne said...

Thank you!

Kay said...

Like you, I think I would have assumed a historical time period for this book based on the cover. However, you did a good job of letting us know about your thoughts on it. Sold me. Will check it out for sure!

Mystica said...

I hope I can track this down.

Luanne said...

I hope you can too Mystica!

Luanne said...

I think you would like it Kay. The list keeps getting longer doesn't it. And....the author read my review!