Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Boy Who Cried Bear - Kelley Armstrong

Oh my gosh, I have been eagerly waiting for the second entry - The Boy Who Cried Bear - in Kelley Armstrong's Haven's Rock series. 

Now, you could read the book as a stand alone, but you'd be missing some great tales in the books before this title.

What is Haven's Rock? It's a well-hidden town surrounded by forest, way up north in the Yukon. It's a refuge for those who need to disappear. Which opens the door to so many plots!

All of the favourite characters are back - notably Detective Casey Duncan and her husband, Sheriff Eric Dalton. The core group of supporting players are also back. But, there are some new faces as well. And for the first time, a child has been granted a place in the town. 

Max is only ten. When he goes into the forest, he thinks he has seen a bear. But when he goes back to town and tells everyone that the bear had human eyes, he is told not to tell tales. Yeah, you can see where the plot is gong to go, right?

Here's the things that I love about this series. The plot is never a straight road, instead there are new ideas, events, deductions and more that change that road into a winding path to the final answers. I change my opinion on whodunit with each new revelation. I really enjoy how Casey and Dalton think things through, coming up with new avenues. They're adept in reading both people and the wilds. They're a couple in both work and at home. Their personal lives move forward with each book.

The idea of that town off the grid is somewhat tantalizing. What would it be like to walk away from it all? Armstrong gives us a look at her idea how it might look - and how  it would function. There has to be some structure. And there will always be someone who says differently.

There's answers to the goings on in this latest, but the door is open for what's going to happen next. I can't wait!

I really like Armstrong's writing. Her books make for addictive reading. So, my advice would be to clear a day on your calendar, hunker down and make a visit to Haven's Rock.

See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Boy Who Cried Bear. An easy five stars!
 

2 comments:

Kay said...

I am planning on making this book my next read. Just got to finish another one, hopefully today or tomorrow. I love Casey, Eric, and the whole 'Haven's Rock' concept. And Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite writers. A kid in the town....now that's different....hmmm...

Luanne said...

Another fan! Once I start one I can’t put it down until it’s finished and the whole concept. Yeah, it’s great.