Tuesday, February 8, 2022

When You Are Mine - Michael Robotham

Michael Robotham is a perennial favorite author for me. I don't bother reading the synopsis as I know I am going to enjoy whatever tale awaits me. The latest is When You Are Mine - a stand alone. 

Philomena McCarthy is an officer with the Met in London. She's passionate about her job and is a stickler for upholding the law, not cutting corners and protecting the public. She's also the daughter of a London crime family.

Phil responds to a domestic violence call and ends up arresting Darren Goodall, who just happens to be a decorated officer with Scotland Yard. And that's the beginning of a nightmare for Phil - although she doesn't know it yet. She is determined to help Tempe - the victim of the assault. Despite knowing she should set limits, Phil invites Tempe into her life. And that too may not have been the smartest thing to do.

Phil is a great lead character - she's smart, fearless and determined, a protagonist you'll be behind all the way. But, she has some blind spots and I myself shaking my head at some of the choices she makes. But of course those decisions drive the plot forward. Goodall is easy to despise. Tempe is complicated. Robotham did a fantastic job with her - she's hard to nail down - are her motives well meaning or does she have her own agenda? 

And, as always, Robotham's plotting will keep you reading until the wee hours. There are also some harsh realities to be found as well. I do hope we see Phil again, as well as her family. Despite the 'crime family' label, I quite liked her father and uncles.

I chose to listen to When You Are Mine. The reader was Katy Sobey, a favorite of mine. She speaks clearly and at a good speed, enunciates well and is easy to understand. Her voice is expressive, capturing the tone and emotion of the novel. And she is so versatile! Different voices and accents are used for the main players. They're easily identifiable and match the mental images I had of the players, both male and female. I have to say that the voice for Tempe is a stand out - lovely and chilling. An excellent performance of a great book from Sobey. Hear for yourself - Listen to an excerpt of When You Are Mine.

2 comments:

Harvee said...

A good audio reader makes all the difference in your enjoying a book.

Luanne said...

It absolutely does Harvee - I've stopped listening based on the narrator's voice. Listening to an excerpt beforehand is a good idea.