Thursday, February 24, 2022

This Might Hurt - Stephanie Wrobel

This Might Hurt is Stephanie Wrobel's new novel.

Sisters Natalie and Kit have always had a fractious relationship, but they've always stayed in touch. Natalie is worried when Kit decides to get her life together by going to Wisewood. Six month mandatory stay and no communication with the outside world. And Nat doesn't hear from her - until she receives a cryptic email from someone threatening to tell Kit the secret Natalie has kept for years. "Would you like to come tell your sister what you did - or shall we?" She decides she needs to see her sister no matter what, so she heads to Wisewood...

Okay, the creepy feeling started when I read the Charles Manson quote that the book opens with. Uh huh - I had a feeling I knew what Westwood might entail. It might look idyllic, but it's anything but.

This Might Hurt is told from three points of view - a performance artist, Natalie and Kit. The artist scared the socks off me. I had to put the book down after reading her visceral chapters. Relationships of many types are found in the pages of This Might Hurt - most of them dysfunctional and disturbing. Timelines changes as well from past to present. 

The reader can't help but hope Natalie and Kit come to no harm, but I couldn't like either of them despite knowing their backstories. And there wasn't a one on the island that I liked either. 

Wrobel has penned a dark, disturbing plot. At times I didn't want to read any more, but I needed to know what happened. Wrobel throws in some twists that I didn't see coming. The ending is good as well - you know what's going to happen, yet its not spelled out. 

Wrobel made my skin crawl! See for yourself - read an excerpt of This Might Hurt. (Gentle readers - this may not be the book for you.)

No comments: