Thursday, February 10, 2022

Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose - T. A. Willberg

I stumbled across T.A. Willberg's debut novel, Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder in 2020. I absolutely loved it and have been eagerly awaiting the next entry in this fantastic series. It's here! Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose has just released. 

What's to love? How about a hidden detective agency below the streets of London, an eclectic group of 'Inquirers', wondrous, magical gadgets that aid in investigations and a spunky female apprentice. The name of the agency, Miss Brickett’s Investigations & Inquiries, conjures up time and place and a bygone method of crime solving. The 1959 time period is perfect. 

Marion Lane is our lead character. You can't help but like her. She's clever, curious, dogged and determined to become a full fledged Inquirer. Willberg fleshes out Marion and gives her a personal life as well. Those personal and workplace relationships will be sorely tested in this second entry. A killer named The Florist is loose in London and Scotland Yard has called on Miss Brickett's for help. A mysterious letter to Marion suggests that one of their new recruits may have ties to the killer....

Willberg's plotting is full of twists and turns, changing and challenging my answer for whodunit with every new clue. Who to trust? Who not to trust?

I wanted to be Nancy Drew when I was younger. Marion evokes that desire and Miss Brickett's brings to mind Platform 9 ¾. Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose was a unique, wonderfully imaginative, delightfully fun read that took me away from the worries of today. I had great fun walking in Marion's footsteps as she pursues the mysteries of Miss Brickett's. I'll be eagerly awaiting the third book! 

See for yourself - read an excerpt of Marion Lane and the Deadly Rose. And personally, I think the reader would enjoy this latest having read the first book.

4 comments:

Ethan said...

I love the setup for this series. A secret underground detective agency in London is just perfect!

Luanne said...

I know! I want to work there!

Harvee (Book Dilettante) said...

The description of the detective agency, with its magical gadgets, got my attention. Nice series.

Luanne said...

It's a fresh, different series Harvee!