Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The Cage - Bonnie Kistler

The premise of Bonnie Kistler's new novel, The Cage, really grabbed my attention. And held it through all 352 pages - I honestly couldn't put it down!

What's the premise? 

"Leaving at the same time, the two women, each preoccupied by her own thoughts, enter the elevator that will take them down from the 30th floor. When they arrive at the lobby, one of the women is dead. Was it murder or suicide?"

Now, you would think that the answer to that question would be quite easy, don't you? It's anything but. The lead character is Shay, a lawyer - and the survivor. The story unfolds through her eyes, but can we trust her? Her story changes a number of time as the tale progresses. We're also aware of other narratives and these factions have their own agenda as well. 

The Cage is a legal thriller that benefits so much from Kistler's own legal expertise. The machinations of all the characters is more than a little frightening. (And I'm sure there is lots of truth there as well.) The plotting is detailed and devious, going in a direction I hadn't foreseen. And I loved how the burning question of innocence or guilt is flipped back and forth, keeping me guessing. 

Kistler's writing makes for addictive reading. I look forward to her next novel. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Cage. I can absolutely see this one as a movie. And check out the 'behind the book' inspiration here. 

No comments: