Monday, February 28, 2022

League of Liars - Astrid Scholte

How to spend a snowed in weekend? For me, it was getting lost in the fantasy world in Astrid Scholtes' new YA novel, League of Liars.

"In this fantasy thriller, four teens charged with murder and caught up with the illegal use of magic band together to devise the ultimate jailbreak."

I am always fascinated by the world building in fantasy novels. In this world in magic is forbidden and strictly regulated. Any misuse is dealt with quickly and harshly. The magic itself is interesting as it is shadows that execute the magic when they are called upon. But the end result often doesn't match the user's intent. 

League of Liars gives us four teen protagonists, all with a vendetta against the Regency. There's Cayder, a law intern, his sister Leta and Jey, who is a bit of a rogue. And of course what fantasy world doesn't have a princess? Although Cayder leads the pack, I found myself drawn more to Leta. She's bold and brave, a bit hard headed and is the character I'd choose to play. The cast of supporting characters are easy to separate into 'good' and 'bad'.

The plot itself is busy in a good way - murders, disappearances, court cases, a prison, royalty, a ruling council, the mysterious Veil that is tied to the magic, and a touch of romance. Danger and action filled as well.

When I read YA books, I try not to be "adult eyes" critical of plot devices or directions, the actions of the teen protagonists, their actions and thoughts. For me, fantasy novels are just that - a chance to escape into another world in the pages of a book.

League of Liars weighs in at 464 pages. I do think it could have been tightened up in a few places, but overall I quite enjoyed League of Liars. Now about that ending.....all I can say is I hope there's a second book! See for yourself - read an excerpt of League of Liars. And isn't that cover great!

No comments: