Friday, December 18, 2015

My True Love Gave to Me - Stephanie Perkins

You've heard me say it before - I love reading Christmas fiction in the days leading up to the 25th. Life is incredibly busy right now, so the 12 holiday stories in My True Love Gave to Me were just perfect. I could get my fix in short bursts.

Zoom in on the cover - twelve best-selling YA authors contributed to this collection, edited by Stephanie Perkins. You love their novels, so you just know you're going to love these stories. Perkins has drawn from diverse writers so the tales range from contemporary to fantasy and magical realism.

I must admit - I had two favourites - and they're two of my fave YA writers as well - Rainbow Rowell and Gayle Forman. Rowell's story has two friends slowly inching towards more over the course of four New Year's Eves. Clever back and forth bantering and an engaging pair of characters had me crossing my fingers as each New Year drew closer to twelve. Gayle's story has a pair of students who aren't quite fitting in at their college meeting at a holiday event and realizing that they may have found more than a new friend.

Matt De La Pena was a new to me author and I'll be hunting down more of his work. His story of a shy cat-sitting guy alone over the holidays - until he meets the girl who lives above - was charming in its simplicity.

This collection was actually a great way to sample some new authors for me as well. Love romance? Love the holidays? Then My True Love Gave to Me is a gift you'll want to buy yourself or any YA fan. I'll be re-reading this one again next year. Read an excerpt of My True Love Gave to Me.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I read that collection last year and really enjoyed it.

Mrs Suvi said...

Ooooh - I really have to get this for my flight on Christmas Eve. I love Christmassy stories. (ps. I'm not sure if you remember me, I was following your blog very intently some years back with the name pinkilili from Sandals and Snowshoes - since I stopped writing that blog, I've still followed all your reviews on Goodreads. Now I started a new blog, so I'm back but with a new name! :) )

holdenj said...

I really liked this too!

Luanne said...

I do remember you Mrs Suvi! I will hunt down your new blog. Thanks for your kind words!