Thursday, July 11, 2013

Over the Counter #171

What book caught my eye this week as it passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Our summer student at the library was doing origami with her kids the other day, so Paper Pups by Hiroshi Hayakawa leapt up at me. (Although they may not quite be ready for these ideas!)

From the publisher, Lark Books:

"Cute crafts and adorable dogs—what could be more irresistible? From a Golden Retriever and French Bulldog to the beloved mutt, these 35 paper pups are appealing and fun to create. They're made using kirigami, an art similar to origami: just photocopy the full-size templates and follow the simple steps to transform a flat shape into a dimensional animal! In addition to the dogs, accessories include a fire hydrant, doghouse, and a collection of collars to adorn your paper pet."

And then I found one of his older books - Kirigami Menagerie. Incredible!

"In origami, a flat piece of paper is folded to create a dimensional object. Similarly, in traditional Japanese kirigami, paper is folded, cut, and unfolded to reveal complex patterns. Here, author Hiroshi Hayakawa has ingeniously combined these two techniques to create a charming menagerie of 40 animals, from flocks of sheep and swirling dragons to stampeding ostriches and pandas in a bamboo grove."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come to the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But...I can mention them and maybe one of them will catchy your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

2 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Paper Pups is adorable!!

bermudaonion said...

My son used to love origami and would have adored Paper Pups!