Monday, May 6, 2024

The Return of Ellie Black - Emiko Jean

The Return of Ellie Black is Emiko Jean's newest novel. 

The opening prologue is one that is sure to capture your attention. Ellie Black went missing two years ago. And in all of that time, the police haven't made any progress. Until...Ellie walks out of the forest. Detective Chelsey Calhoun is on the case. But...

Oh, I knew this was going to be a great listen! I needed to know where Ellie had been for two years. Was it voluntary? Was she taken? And so much more. 
 
Jean gives the listener partial answers to these and other questions by telling the story in a then and now format - one I always enjoy! Jean does a great job exploring the aftermath of such a event through friends, family and the police.

And - my favorite - twists and turns. Well done Emiko Jean - I was surprised! I'm not 100% on that last big twist, but I appreciate it. 

I chose to listen to The Return of Ellie Block. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I often feel more immersed in a story when I listen to a book. The decision to go with a cast (9) of narrators for this title was perfect. (A number of my favorites were on the list.) There's no guessing as to what characters are speaking. Each voice was perfect for the character they were portraying. I was able to match them with the mental images I had created. All spoke clearly and enunciated well. Each reader did a great job. The audio really brings the plot to life.  Hear for yourself - listen to an audio excerpt of The Return of Ellie Black..

(Gentle listeners, there are some triggers in the Return of Ellie Black.)

No comments: