Friday, May 24, 2024

I Hope This Finds You Well - Natalie Sue

Okay, you know that feeling you get when you start to read a debut novel - and you can't put it down? Yeah, that's what happened to me when I started to read I Hope This Finds You Well by Natalie Sue

Jolene works as an admin for a large company. She does her best to hide in her pod, and interacts with the other staffers as little as she possibly can. Which works out, as they ignore her. Jolene has a way she uses to get back at them, but it backfires on her. She's now on HR's radar. But....someone in HR has messed up - and Jolene can see everyone's email - and what they're really thinking. Hmm, there are so many ways this tale could go... 

Having worked in similar setting, I could empathize with Jolene. I  was appalled and angered by the treatment she received from the others. Sue has filled the office with easily identifiable personalities. (I has some flashbacks from the television show The Office.)

Sue takes us home with Jolene as well. What is happening at work is only one issue. She's also carrying trauma from her past and there's pressure from her Persian family to get married and do well at work.  

Now, it might sound like heavy reading, but it is - and it isn't. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud. Rather than think 'heavy' I think of it as introspective and taking back yourself. I think that everyone that reads this book will recognize something that speaks to them.

I Hope This Finds You Well is a wonderful debut, one I can easily recommend. See for yourself - read an excerpt.

No comments: