Monday, May 27, 2024

If Something Happens to Me - Alex Finlay

I'm an avid suspense reader, so I'm always on the lookout for more! I have enjoyed Alex Finlay's previous books, so picking up his latest  book, 'If Something Happens to Me", was an easy decision.

The story is told through multiple characters. Five years ago Ryan was knocked out and his girlfriend Ali was taken. No body was ever  found - and Ryan was the prime suspect. And then he sees a man that he has seen before... And a cryptic clue starts the hunt all over again. 

A Philly mobster is the second voice and a new to the force sheriff’s deputy is the third. I really liked Deputy Poppy McGee! (Nudge, nudge maybe she'll turn up up in another book?) There's a number of supporting players as well.
 
I always like a tale that is told from more than one viewpoint. We're privy to what's going on in all three threads. Well, we do and we don't in this plot that is. By the time you get back to the first voice, things have changed. Finlay is a master at giving the reader many many twists and turns - also another element I really enjoy.

The pedal is on the metal in this suspense, action filled novel. An entertaining beach read for sure. See for yourself - read an excerpt from If Something Happens to Me. 

I also think it would make a great streaming series!  

3 comments:

Mystica said...

Always was an author who gave one plenty of suspense.

Luanne said...

He does indeed Mystica!

Ethan said...

I didn't love his last book, so I was on the fence about reading this one. I agree, the single perspective is refreshing!