Thursday, May 30, 2024

If Something Happens To Me - Alex Finlay

I'm an avid suspense reader and listener, so I'm always on the lookout for more! I have enjoyed Alex Finlay's previous books, so picking up his title 'If Something Happens to Me', was an easy decision.

The story is told through multiple characters. Five years ago Ryan was knocked out and his girlfriend Ali was taken. No body was ever  found - and Ryan was the prime suspect. And then he sees a man that he has seen before... And a cryptic clue starts the hunt all over again.

A Philly mobster is the second voice and a new to the force sheriff’s deputy is the third. I really liked Deputy Poppy McGee! (Nudge, nudge maybe she'll turn up up in another book?) There's a number of supporting players as well.

I always like a tale that unfolds told from more than one viewpoint. We're privy to what's going on in all three threads. Well, we do and we don't in this plot that is. By the time you get back to the first voice, things have changed. Finlay is a master at giving the reader many, many twists and turns - also another element I really enjoy.

I really enjoy a book that employs a cast to perform the novel. Paul Dateh, Helen Laser, and John Pirhalla did a wonderful job of presenting Finlay's work. Having a cast it makes it very easy to know who is speaking. I always imagine what the characters look like from hearing their voices. Distinctive voices are also put in place for supporting characters. Everyone spoke clearly, cleanly and were easy on the ears. Each narrator brought their characters to life, capturing the action and suspense of Finlay's book. A great presentation!

 An entertaining book for sure! See for yourself - listen to an excerpt from If Something Happens to Me.

2 comments:

Ethan said...

I didn't love his last book, so I've put off reading this one. Your review, and a few from other trusted readers, has me convinced I need to give him another chance!

Luanne said...

I hope you like this latest!