Tuesday, May 14, 2024

The Off Season - Amber Cowie

If you love suspense novels, you're going to want to pick Amber Cowie's new book - The Off Season

The set up for this tale was perfect! Jane has just married a man she's known for only six months, he's thirteen years older, has a teenage daughter and has been married already. Jane doesn't want children and is rebounding from something that went very bad in her work. A recipe for disaster? Maybe. How about adding in being caretakers for a remote lodge in the winter? Oh definitely yes...

The setting is wonderfully described. The lodge is large and luxurious. The forest surrounding the lodge beautiful - but also dangerous. And this crossed my thoughts...Redrum...

Cowie's character building is perfect. The dynamics between Jane and Dom are still in the honeymoon stage. But relations between Jane and Dom's daughter Sienna, are fractious, to say the least. The past is also a character in the plot. But is anyone telling the truth at all?

Oh my gosh - with every chapter Cowie builds and builds the tension in the lodge. There was no way I was going to stop reading! The plotting is great - I had no idea how things were to going to play out. Cowie kept me guessing right through to the last pages.

The Off Season is a fantastic entry for your summer reading list! 

2 comments:

Mystica said...

The book was archived today. I’m disappointed

Luanne said...

Oh I'm sorry that happened Mystica! I've had the same thing happen. :0(