Wednesday, July 26, 2023

I Did It For You - Amy Engel

I Did It For You is Amy Engel's new stand alone novel. 

Fourteen years ago, Greer's sister Eliza, and her boyfriend were murdered in their small town of Ludlow, Kansas. The murderer was caught and punished. Greer couldn't cope and fled the town for big city life. But fourteen years on, there's been another murder that is eerily similar to that first one. Did did they convict the wrong person? And it is this that drives Greer back home to Ludlow.

Engel has penned an interesting mystery. The book is character driven, exploring many themes - grief, guilt, loss, friendship, relationships, anger, love and more. Much of this through the three main characters. Greer, Ryan and Cassie have been friends from a young age. Their banter and easy manner with each other is well drawn. But Greer isn't warmed back by a number of people, who wonder why she's digging up old troubles. 

I enjoyed picking out clues from conversations, memories, interactions, behaviors and more, coming up with my own answer for whodunit. I had my suspicions, but was caught off guard from a late reveal. And not what I expected at all. Well done! 

I quite enjoyed I Did It For You and this introduction to a new to me author. See for yourself - read an excerpt. 



No comments: