Friday, July 14, 2023

How Can I Help You - Laura Sims

How Can I Help You is Laura Sims' new novel - and it's such a good one!

Why? Okay, let's start with the setting. The main locale is an older public library in a small town. Having worked in a public library myself, I can say that Sims has really captured every day in a public service setting. The patrons, the services offered, the telephone calls, the inappropriate use of the net in a public space, the verbal abuse, the undercurrent of violence that could erupt any time and so much more...

But what about the staff? How Can I Help You is told from Margo's point of view. She is stone. cold. dangerous. What the other staff see is "only her middle-aged normalcy, congeniality, and charm." And that's enough to sustain Margo's even keel. Until a new librarian named Patricia joins the staff and disrupts Margo's world. What's really in Margo's thoughts will have your skin crawling. Patricia is also given a point of view. Her inner thoughts surprised me in the beginning. As readers we know what both women are thinking. And that only serves to ramp up the tension and the fear that something bad is going to happen...

How Can I Help You is addictive, edge of your seat reading. Kudos to Sims for an such a creepy plot and such disturbing characters. See for yourself - read an excerpt of How Can I Help You.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Luanne, this book sounds really creepy. I've also worked in the public library environment and as I read what you said here - wow. Putting it on my list. Don't think I worked with anyone like this, did you? LOL

Luanne said...

LOL Kay! No, I didn’t work with someone like the character I’m mentioning. But… I worked with some very interesting personalities over the years.

Ethan said...

I wouldn't have expected edge-of-your-seat reading to be set in a library, but this one sounds like it really grabs you!

Luanne said...

It's definitely not a cozy library tale Ethan!