Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Everyone Here is Lying - Shari Lapena

Shari Lapena is one of my fave authors. I don't read the synopsis of Lapena's books before I dive into reading, as I like to be surprised. Everyone Here is Lying has just released and it was a surprise - a very good one!

From the outside - a nice neighbourhood. From the inside, not so much....

Everyone Here is Lying opens with a bang. A nine year old girl goes missing -  seemingly without a trace. The police start their investigation by interviewing family, then friends and then the neighbours. And...you guessed it, there's more than one liar.

But everything is not revealed right away. Lapena slowly and deliciously discloses the secrets of the residents through their own thoughts and the police interviews. 

The two police are characters I would be happy to see again - especially Gully. The neighbours? Not so much. Lapena does a great job building the characters, giving them realistic emotions and actions. 

I have to say I was caught off guard with the unexpected development in part three. What a good twist! A few details ask the reader to suspend disbelief, which I happily did.

If you like their psychology suspense and unreliable characters, you'll enjoy Everyone Here is Lying. See for yourself - read an excerpt. 

No comments: