Thursday, July 20, 2023

Dead Eleven - Jimmy Juliano

Dead Eleven is Jimmy Juliano's debut novel. 

I liked the premise of the book. Clifford Island is an insular, small island in Wisconsin that seems to be stuck in 1994. Willow Stone thinks the island holds clues, and maybe answers as to the death of her son. But something about Clifford Island is wrong...very, very wrong. 

Juliano keeps the reader guessing as to what that wrong is - and what's up with the throwback to the 90's. I loved the world building of the island, the town and it's residents.

Willow's sleuthing gives credence to her suspicions. But it also marks her as a problem. When she disappears, her brother Harper comes to the island to find her. 

The second part of the book introduces an alternative reason for the actions, patterns and rituals of the residents that would explain much. But is it reality or conjecture? Or madness? The next part ramps up on the way to the final answers. Juliano often touches on grief in Dead Eleven.

I know I've been a bit obtuse, but I'm trying to not provide spoilers! A strong debut and an interesting take on horror. I did find some of the same ideas to be a bit repetitive. And I found myself looking for a bit more 'action'. But overall, an interesting debut

See for yourself - read an excerpt of Dead Eleven.  And as always - stay out of the basement.  (And A&E have picked up rights already!)

No comments: