Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Die Again - Tess Gerritsen

Tess Gerritsen's latest release, Die Again, is the eleventh entry in her successful Rizzoli and Isles series.

Jane Rizzoli is a Boston homicide detective and Maura Isles is the medical examiner. They're are an engaging duo that are the perfect vehicle for Gerritsen's well imagined crimes.

Die Again is told in two narratives - one past and one present. The past tells the story of a group of tourists being picked off one by one on a safari vacation in Botswana. Present day finds Rizzoli and Isles with a murder on their hands that might have connections to that ill fated trip...

The dual narrative was intriguing - I almost think the Botswana story would have made a great book on its own. The narrator of the trip - Millie - was a strong character that I really enjoyed.

Gerritsen is a retired physician, which gives the medical and physical aspects of her plots that added dose of reality - as well as vivid descriptions.The wild game aspect of the book was well researched and I learned quite a bit about predators. Although predators aren't always four footed! I did find I had guessed the 'whodunit' before the end of book, but this didn't detract from my enjoyment at all.

The personal lives of Rizzoli and Isles continues to evolve, providing an excellent and believable ongoing secondary storyline.

When this series came out, I was quickly hooked on it and await each new entry. Rizzoli and Isles is also a successful television show. I watched it once - and that was enough for me. It was just too 'entertainment' for me. I prefer this pair on the written page with my own mental images of the characters.

Die Again could be read as a stand alone, but this is a series worth starting at the beginning. Here's an excerpt of Die Again. You can keep up with Tess Gerritsen on Facebook and on Twitter.

2 comments:

Mystica said...

I did not know about the series. I watch the TV series so I will keep an eye out for these books

Kay said...

Looking forward to reading this new entry into a favorite series. I do watch the TV Rizzoli and Isles, but I have disconnected myself from the storylines presented in the books. And stopped telling my husband, this is different from the books, that is different from the books, etc. He finally told me that he wasn't going to read the books and it didn't matter to him. LOL

Nice to comment here again, Luanne. I've come back to blogging after a long time away. Would love for you to visit my new blog - kay's reading life - and chat.