Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Off the Air - Christine Estes

Off the Air is Christine Estes's debut novel from St. Martin's Press.

The cover images seem to promise a light-hearted murder mystery.The body belongs to a controversial shock jock named Larry Lemmon at Station KFRK in Phoenix, Arizona. And although the police are involved in the case, it is the view from the newshounds we are following. One in particular - Jolene Garcia.

Estes herself is a reporter in Phoenix. She brings a behind the scenes perspective to Off the Air. There's lots of detail about the battle for a story within one office, as well as between stations/outlets. It's frenetic and more than a little dodgy. The reporters and photographers walk a thin line using questionable tactics and judgement. It certainly made me think about the news I watch and read every day. How was it obtained? Is it the truth? And yes, news reporting has certainly changed over the years.

Jolene is intent to be the one to crack the murder. I applauded her determination, but I have to say I didn't like her.

To me the murder itself is not really the focus of Off the Air. Instead it's the hunt for the next sound bite. Somewhere around page 100, I started to skim some of the details of diving into a van and racing to a site or knocking on a door repeatedly after someone saying no to her. There is, of course, a final whodunit, but it felt like an add on, too little, too late.

There's also some warning re: triggers. I feel this should have been in the first few pages and not at the end. 

Just okay for this reader. Estes does indeed knows what she writes. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Off the Air.

2 comments:

Mystica said...

Thank you for the honest review

Luanne said...

Thanks Mystica - I always feel so guilty when I don't enjoy a book...