Monday, March 4, 2024

Listen for the Lie - Amy Tintera

Listen for the Lie is Amy Tintera's adult debut novel. 

I was drawn to the red cover, the sinuous tape and the blurbs from some of my favorite authors.

It's no secret that I absolutely adore epistolary storytelling. Much of Listen for the Lie book is told as chapters and interviews of a true crime podcast.

And now you're wondering what that crime might be, aren't you?

Five years ago Lucy fled her small town. Why? Pretty much all of the residents believe she had murdered her best friend. She was never prosecuted for the killing -  and she never went back home. Until now. 

Lucy is completely different than I had expected. I appreciated something different and unexpected to catch my attention. she's got a dark sense of humor and she freely jokes that she just might be the killer. Is she a killer? Innocent? Her inner voice is loud - and very dark. It's more than a little concerning. Her behaviour just seems to purposely rile up those who loved the victim.

There is a wealth of supporting characters who provide their thoughts, memories and actions to the host of the podcast. I have to say that my favorite character was Beverly -  Lucy's Grandmother. You'll see why. 

Now, I mentioned the epistolary style. It's absolutely the perfect way to hide the clues. Who is lying? Who changes their narrative? Will you put the pieces together before the last page? I'm happy to say that I didn't! And again, it's nice to not know the ending.

This was a fun read and I hope that Tintera tackles another adult book. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Listen for the Lie.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I chose this one for my Book of the Month selection this month and am waiting for it to arrive. And, you guessed it, the epistolary format was what tweaked my interest. I love to at least try books written that way. We shall see how I fare. LOL

Luanne said...

I will be waiting to see what you think Kay!

Ethan said...

I completely agree with you about this one! The podcast style worked to keep me guessing till the end, and the grandmother was THE standout character in the book. I gave her a special shout-out in my review, too.

Luanne said...

Wasn't she great! I love this style of writing