Wednesday, November 29, 2023

The Mystery Guest - Nita Prose

Oh, I was so excited to hear that Nita Prose had written a second book featuring Molly - her absolutely wonderful protagonist. The Mystery Guest has just released.  

We met Molly in the first book - The Maid. Molly works at the upscale Regency Grand Hotel as a maid. "Every day of work is a joy to me. I was born to do this job. I love cleaning. I love my maid's trolley, and I love my uniform." She is now the Head Maid. 

You're going to absolutely love Molly - her innocence, her upbeat attitude, her manner of speaking and those rules and sayings that guide her life. And then there's Gran. Even though she is gone, her presence is felt throughout the book. (It made me miss my Gran too!) The supporting cast of players is just as wonderful. Molly has made friends who very much care for her. But there's always a rotten apple in the barrel.

And of course, there's a mystery to be solved.  History seems to be repeating itself when a guest lecturer dies in front of the audience at the hotel. Molly might have the inside track with this latest murder - and I'll let you discover how. In addition to her own curious mind, Molly and her Gran were faithful fans of Columbo - and read every Christie novel. Tools that she'll put to good use. That's if Detective Stark will listen to what Molly knows.

Prose tells The Mystery Guest in a past and present timeline - one of my favourite storytelling styles. Readers will get to learn more about Molly's past and her Gran. Yes, I needed a tissue more than once.

What more could you want - characters you'll be rooting for, a murder mystery, and some insightful thoughts about love, loss and life. Prose's writing will keep you turning page after page late into the night. Heartily recommended! See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Mystery Guest. I really, really hope there will be a third book!

Thanks to Simon and Schuster for the review copy. This in no way afflicts my thoughts. All opinions are mine

No comments: