Monday, November 6, 2023

The Beautiful and the Wild - Peggy Townsend

The Beautiful and the Wild is Peggy Townsend's newly released novel. 

This descriptor caught my eye - "The dangers of Alaska aren't limited to storms, starvation, and grizzly bears. Sometimes the most dangerous thing is the person you love." 

My preconceived idea of what path Townsend's plotting would take was oh so wrong. Which I was quite happy with! It's refreshing to come across a narrative I hadn't expected.

Our lead character is Liv. She's likeable and readers will immediately be behind her. That first chapter is a doozy! There's a supporting cast in the 'now' chapters that will have you shaking your head. But the premise is not so far from reality. 

Liv's tale is told from a now and then narrative. And again, my perspective on Liv changed with each 'then' revelation. There's more to Liv than you'd think. What impact will that past have on the present? Townsend does a great job of ramping up the tension and danger with every chapter in the present. 

It was easy to imagine the setting with Townsend's detailed descriptions. 

Bottom line? I really enjoyed The Beautiful and the Wild. The past and present storytelling style is one of my favorites and Townsend did a great job of keeping my curiosity piqued in both narratives. I couldn't put the book down! And I thought the ending was perfect. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Beautiful and the Wild. 

No comments: