Tuesday, November 14, 2023

The Manor House - Gilly Macmillan

I've really enjoyed Gilly Macmillan's previous books and knew I was settling in for another great read with her latest - The Manor House.

When Tom and Nicole win the lottery, they give up their starter home, and instead they build Nicole's dream house - in a very wealthy neighborhood. 

What's that saying? Money is at the root of all evil? Match that avarice with a nod to one of Hitchcock's best movies and you've got an idea about what you'll find inside Macmillan's novel.

But Macmillan has made this idea her own. More than once, she completely caught me off guard with a twist, an unexpected development, red herrings,  reveals I couldn't have imagined. 

The characters are so well drawn! You'll have your favorites and your ones to loath. But are they each telling the truth? Are they really what they present to the world?

The Manor House was a great, page turning read for me. Really well done! See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Manor House.

4 comments:

Kay said...

Luanne, I'm glad to hear about this book. I've read others by Gilly Macmillan that I enjoyed and I'm putting this one on my list to try before long. Thanks!

Luanne said...

I quite enjoyed it Kay - hope you do as well!

Ethan said...

It seems like all the thriller authors are writing about spooky houses! Not that I'm complaining. I love this trope, and I'm glad she has plenty of twists in this one.

Luanne said...

Ethan I enjoy the trope as well. Extra points for a period piece!