Thursday, April 6, 2023

The Last Heir to Blackwood Library - Hester Fox

The Last Heir to Blackwood Library is Hester Fox's debut novel. 

I loved the cover and the title promised a good read. (Isn't that true of all books with 'library in the title?)

1929 England. Twenty three year old Ivy Ratcliffe inherits Blackwood Abbey and becomes Lady Haywood overnight. She is a very distant relative of the last Haywood and had never known the man. But she's excited about the move...

Oh, all the pieces are here for a read with lots of Gothic influence. A young woman alone in the world, staff that are standoffish and secretive, a handsome jack of all trades, a smarmy antagonist, secrets and a manor with a dark history. Also - a library to rival those of any university. Ivy loves books and is thrilled to be the new mistress of the library.

So, up to a certain point, the book was following a script that I had excited and was enjoying. Then Fox threw in a spanner and changed the direction things were going. I now understood how the prologue would tie in. I'm going to be a bit obtuse here as I don't want to provide spoilers. The initial bit of the new direction was quite good and I was on board for it. I did question Ivy's ignoring of some 'episodes'. But that was part of the Gothic feel as well. But as it progressed, I had a little bit of doubt. I wasn't completely sold on the catalyst for what transpires. Another thing that annoyed me a bit was the amnesia that Ivy develops. She becomes the quintessential unreliable narrator. I felt like some of the interactions (yes, no, maybe so) played out one time too many perhaps. 

But that aside, I think this is a good debut and I would pick up Fox's next book. See for yourself - read an excerpt of The Last Heir to Blackwood Library. 

No comments: