Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Someone is Always Watching - Kelley Armstrong

Teen fiction is often my go to, curl up in a comfy chair, getaway and read the day away choice. 

Someone is Always Watching is Kelley Armstrong's new YA book. And my latest teen read.

Blythe is our protagonist in this book. She’s part of a tightknit friends circle, that all attend a small prep school.  

All’s good with them - okay, mostly good. Blythe and Tucker are taking a bit of a break. There’s an event alluded to between them, but it’s not spelled out until much later. And then Gabriella has a bit of a meltdown. Ok, it’s much more than a bit. The group is seriously worried - what the heck is going on? 

I really liked the characters in this book. They’re all intriguing and all are very different. The interactions between the friends are really well written. There’s a lot of caring amongst the group. That caring is shown in the respectful dialogue that they have, and their actions. But then again, they’re all teenagers so we do see the flipside of that as well. The adults in the book are hard to gauge - within them who is telling the truth?

And of course the teens are  going to investigate, right? I was pretty sure I knew how the plot was going to play out but Armstrong plants lots of red herrings along the way to the final who and why that kept me guessing.

And being a teen novel, we’ve got to have a romantic thread, right!? There’s lots of yes, no, maybe so, but it’s done well.

I've been a bit obtuse, as I don't want to provide any spoilers Teen flicks are also on my watch list. So, if you've enjoyed Outer Banks and Riverdale and the like, you'll enjoy Someone is Always Watching. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Someone is Always Watching.

I'm so glad Kelley Armstrong loves writing - because I really enjoy reading her books!

No comments: